Below is some information the classes that we will be offering. All entries are done via show secretary, please see the Premium List for entry instruction.
All dogs six (6) months and under eighteen (18) months of age shall be eligible to compete. All dogs must be entered in one of the regular Breed classes. The classes in the Sweepstakes are divided by sex and offered as follows:
- Junior Puppy (6 months and less than 9 months)
- Senior Puppy (9 months and less than 12 months)
- 12-15 Months (12 months and less than 15 months)
- 15-18 Months (15 months and less than 18 months)
For final judging, the first place dog from each of the above classes will be brought together for the final placing of “Best in Sweepstakes” and “Best of Opposite Sex to Best in Sweepstakes”.
All dogs seven (7) years of age and over shall be eligible to compete. All dogs must be entered in one of the regular Breed classes or for Exhibition Only. The classes in the Sweepstakes are divided by sex and offered as follows:
- 7 Years of Age and under 9 Years of Age
- 9 Years of Age and over
For final judging, the first place dog from each of the above classes will be brought together for the final placing of “Best in Sweepstakes” and “Runner-Up to Best in Sweepstakes”. For many years, the CMC has chosen the option to award a Runner Up, rather than a Best Opposite because with what is usually a smaller entry in this category, it gives the judge an opportunity to award the dogs that they feel are most deserving.
The CKC requires that dogs must be at least 7 years old for any veteran class. The age division at 9 years is allowed, but not usually requested, and is something we added as a gesture for our exhibitors. (note – MCOA offers 6-8 years, 8-10 years, and 10+ years for both sexes at Specialties).
Baby Puppy Classes
This is a new class approved by the CKC for 2012 open to puppies between the ages of 3-6 months. No points are awarded to Baby Puppies. Placements are awarded first through fourth for each sex with Best Baby Puppy Male and Best Baby Puppy Female awarded respectively. Immediately thereafter a Best Baby Puppy in Specialty is chosen. (Unlike the 6-9 month puppies, the Baby puppies are not required to enter the ring after Best of Breed.)
Printed on the Baby Puppy Class Judging Form is the following note: “Judges should not disqualify dogs in this class for lack of testicles or not meeting a minimum height requirement required in the breed standard.”
Regular Conformation Classes
The following Regular CKC Classes (divided by sex) will be offered at all Specialties:
- Canadian Bred Class - shall be for any dog born in Canada. Champions of any country are excluded*
*Different rules apply for the Best Canadian bred in Specialty Award
- Junior Puppy – A dog between 6 months and under 9 months on day of show.
- Senior Puppy – A dog between 9 months and under 12 months on day of show.
- 12 - 18 Months - A dog between 12 months and under 15 months on day of show.
- 12 – 15 Months – A dog between 12 months and under 15 months on day of show.
- 15 – 18 Months – A dog between 15 months and under 18 months on day of show. .
- Bred By Exhibitor Class- shall be for any dog handled in the ring by its owner/breeder. The handler MUST be the owner/co-owner AND the breeder/co-breeder of the dog. The owner/breeder must handle the dog at class level (but need not handle the dog for further awards)*
*Different rules apply for the Best Bred By Exhibitor in Specialty Award.
- Open Class - shall be for all dogs/bitches
- Veterans (competitive) Class – shall be for all dogs 7 years of age and older on the day of the Specialty. The winners of the Veteran Male and Veteran Female class DO NOT compete for points, but go directly onto the Best of Breed Competition. Spayed or neutered dogs ARE eligible for entry in this class.
- Specials Only Class - shall be for any dog that has a recorded CKC Registration or Event Registration Number and has attained the required points for Championship status.
The request to move a class dog to the Specials Only Class MUST be received by the Show Secretary one hour prior to the opening of the show on the day concerned.
- Award Of Merit - At the judge’s discretion, one Award of Merit may be presented for every ten (10) dogs competing for Best of Breed.
- Best Veteran in Specialty - dogs must be entered in the Veteran’s class.
- Best Canadian Bred in Specialty - as per the CKC rule book, eligibility for Best Canadian Bred includes ALL dogs that were born in Canada, not just those entered in the Canadian Bred classes. This includes Specials. In the event that Best of Breed was also a Canadian bred dog, obviously “Best Canadian Bred” would be awarded to the Best of Breed winner.
- Best Puppy in Specialty - All dogs under 12 months of age that have not been either directly or indirectly defeated by another puppy are eligible for Best Puppy in Breed. The dogs need not be entered in the puppy class, this includes any puppy that is entered as a special.
- Best Bred By Exhibitor in Specialty - This is a special award donated by THIS show committee, and unlike American Specialties, it is not a regular category. The eligibility and judging criteria is essentially the same as for Best Canadian Bred, with the obvious difference of the handler/breeder requirements, not the country of birth. If the BREEDER of the dog (not necessarily the owner) was also the HANDLER throughout the Specialty, he/she is eligible to compete. The dog does NOT have to be entered in the Bred-by class.
- Exhibition Only - All dogs entered in this class shall be listed in the catalogue with the same particulars as dogs entered in regular competition. Dogs entered in this class MAY NOT COMPETE in any Regular Class, but may be entered and compete in any Non-Regular Classes.
The following Non Regular CKC Classes are offered by this Specialty Club:
- Sire & Get – shall be for Sire and 2 or more of his Get
*Get or Progeny MUST be entered in one of the Regular official classes at the Specialty. The Stud Dog MUST also be entered in one of the Regular official classes at the Specialty, or for Exhibition Only. Stud Dogs are judged on the merits of their PROGENY. Regardless of his appearance, a good sire will produce quality and consistency. The sire or dam should not be even be gaited. The stud and brood are awarded on their aparent reproductive ability, not their physical stature, and are the only dogs in the ring to carry arm bands. Each sire or dam must have a minimum of 2 progeny.
- Brood Matron & Progeny – shall be for Dam and 2 or more of her Progeny
*Get or Progeny MUST be entered in one of the Regular official classes at the Specialty. The Brood Matron MUST also be entered in one of the Regular official classes at the Specialty, or for Exhibition Only. Brood Matrons are judged on the merits of their PROGENY. Regardless of her appearance, a good dam will produce quality and consistency.The sire or dam should not be even be gaited. The stud and brood are awarded on their aparent reproductive ability, not their physical stature, and are the only dogs in the ring to carry arm bands. Each sire or dam must have a minimum of 2 progeny.
- Brace Class – shall be for 2 dogs of the same breed (not necessarily of the same sex), judged as an matchedl pair. A brace must be handled by one person on one lead. When viewed from the side they should appear as one dog and its shadow or a mirror image of each other.
- Sexually Altered Classes - eligibility for the Altered Classes is limited to dogs over 6 months of age that have been spayed/neutered by veterinary procedure. These classes are only offered at Specialties. Points MAY NOT be carried from the Regular competition judging to the Altered class judging. These classes WILL be judged upon the completion of the Regular Specialty judging.
*Altered Male and Altered Female – Classes will be placed first through fourth in both sexes; the first place winner from each sex will be declared WINNERS and the second place winner from each sex RESERVE. The Altered Winners Male and Altered Winners Female will then compete for Best Altered and Best Opposite Sex Altered In Breed.